How to prevent user errors in the financial year 2022?
In a recent poll – that I conducted among hundreds of managers – over 40% said that User Errors is their biggest issue – when it comes to working with Excel.
This does not come as a surprise to me.
Excel is so powerful in the modelling and yet so unforgiving when it comes to user errors.
- It could be as simple as copying and pasting the wrong number into the wrong columns.
- Or mistyping 95 for 59 and not noticing the difference.
- And – even worse – overwriting a meaningful formula with a value – that might look right, but will change the cause of the model forever
How can you prevent this from happening?
The simple answer is: reduce the manual handling of data as much as you can – at all cost.
Here are some relevant tips for you:
- Use the internal macro-language to install proper dialog boxes
- Have checksums and error-checks in place
- Automate the creation of dashboards
- Audit your existing spreadsheets
- Document the workflow and highlight the entry cells
Most Excel users don’t know what really is possible to achieve with Excel – I can tell you: it is mind-blowing.
Get yourself another set of eyes to help.
When you need your car repaired, you go to the garage you trust.
And when user-errors in your workflow are prevalent, it is best to work with a business strategist that has a mind for numbers, systems, and automation.
Contact me for a free 30-minute call to explore your specific needs, because every situation is different – even though that there are common issues when it comes to Excel.
The most common one is too many user errors – over 40% just confirmed that.
Now is the time to make your financial year 2022 user-error-free.
“The changes Jürgen made have resulted in a substantial time saving and improved the reliability of our process allowing us to focus on the analysis rather than the collation and manipulation of data. Jürgen isn't just an Excel guy but really understand process flows and the business outcomes. Thanks again.”
David Barton – Club Plus Super
Building Better Systems: Here are three ways I could help you right now…
- You have an idea or a problem to solve and you don’t know where to start and want an honest, straight forward sounding board with business acumen and IT experience. Call me to discuss.
- You have an existing Excel – solution that does not do what it supposed to do. Here I can do a thorough assessment and audit of your model and give you recommendations for moving forward.
- You want to work privately with me to weave some magic into your workflow models that will allow you and your team to base your million dollar decision on the right data. Just email me to set up a time for a chat.