How to tame an omni-present and omni-potent beast?
When it comes to the use of Excel in your business it is often omni present and seen even as omni potent. You are using Excel to fulfil the needs of quick reporting and visual representation of your data.
The intent is great and I can see that you want analytics at your fingertips that your ERP system or main frame does not provide you with. Or at least not as easily.
And then this great tool Excel becomes a monster of its own. The reporting gets more complicated, the workbook becomes more cumbersome. You spend more and more time using Excel, where in the beginning you just wanted to save time.
From my experience it is all about Accuracy & Efficiency when it comes to Excel models. And research shows that over 80% of all Excel models are either faulty or not adequate for the job.
Next your problems get even worse, because you are now basing your $1m decision on these manual created reports.
Can you still trust the numbers?
I’m working with mid-size to large organisations and transform the way they work using their existing software tools.
By systemising, structuring and automating your workflow (using German Precision) I can free up valuable time. You will trust your numbers again and make better decisions.
The ROI is often achieved within months or even weeks of working with me.
Here is what you could do right now to tame the beast:
- Make a list of all relevant Excel spreadsheets floating around in your team
- Score these Excel sheets by importance and time-consumption
- Audit the top 10% in each of these categories (importance and time-consuming)
- Document these Excel sheets
- Systemise, structure and automate at least the top three in each category and watch the benefits building up.
Automation is the key.
And you will see that when accuracy in your reporting is crucial, it is imperative to work with a business strategist that has a mind for numbers and systems.
“The changes Jürgen made have resulted in a substantial time saving and improved the reliability of our process allowing us to focus on the analysis rather than the collation and manipulation of data. Jürgen isn't just an Excel guy but really understand process flows and the business outcomes. Thanks again.”
David Barton – Club Plus Super
Whenever you are ready, here are three ways I could help you right now…
- You have an idea or a problem to solve and you don’t know where to start and want an honest, straight forward sounding board with business acumen and IT experience. Call me to discuss.
- You have an existing Excel – solution that does not do what it supposed to do. Here I can do a thorough assessment and audit of your model and give you recommendations for moving forward.
- You want to work privately with me to weave some magic into your workflow models that will allow you and your team to base your million dollar decision on the right data. Just email me to set up a time for a chat.